Two Screening Tools exist for eating disorders; a “Yes” response is abnormal, except as indicated. The questions give you an idea of what to inquire about during history-taking. I prefer to combine (2) & (5) of the first, with (1-3) of the second:
- Do you make yourself Sick because you feel too full?
- Do you worry you’ve lost Control over how much you eat?
- Have you recently lost over One stone (14#) in a 3-month period?
- Do you believe you’re Fat when others say you’re too thin?
- Would you say that Food dominates your life?
ESP (Eating disorder Screen for Primary Care)
- Are you satisfied with your eating patterns? (“No” = abnormal)
- Do you ever eat in secret?
- Does your weight affect how you feel about yourself?
- Have any family members had an eating disorder?
- Have you ever had an eating disorder, or do you now?
SCOFF found that 2 “yes” responses had 100% sensitivity and 87.5% specificity. The ESP people found sensitivity & specificity of 100% and 71%, but also analyzed SCOFF to be lower (78% and 88%).
If you use the SCOFF as written, paraphrase the “one stone” questions, please.