Certain stimuli may cause brief headaches:
- “Ice-Cream Headache” (“brain freeze”), when enough cold hits the roof of the mouth fast enough.
- “Cough Headache” occurs after coughing.
- “Post-Coital Headache” occurs after sex, following orgasm; it can be emotionally traumatic.
- “Chinese Restaurant Headache” from eating products with monosodium glutamate.
- “Hot-Dog Headache” from foods with nitrites.
Only diagnose after numerous occurrences have set a pattern, not with the first episode. Because of the intense straining, a subarachnoid hemorrhage from an aneurysm leak can also occur during sex, usually before orgasm.