The criteria for Mania (≥1 week) or Hypomania (≥4 days) are:
1. Elevated, expansive, or irritable mood that impairs functioning, PLUS2. At least 3 of the following (4 if mood was “irritable”):
- Inflated self-esteem; grandiosity
- Decreased need for sleep (<3 hrs / day)
- Talkative; pressure to keep talking
- Racing thoughts / flight of ideas
- Distracted by unimportant / irrelevant stimuli
- Increased goal-seeking (work/school/social/sexual)
- Unrestrained sex / buying sprees / dumb investments
3. The disturbance either: a) markedly impairs work, usually activities, or relationships; b) requires hospitalization; OR c) has psychotic features.
4. Substances weren’t the cause.
See also our posting on Depression.