- Mediterranean, African, Arabian, South Asian, Asian descent.
- Includes all of Latin America and Carribean
- Hb / Hct around 10 / 30
- MCV 70-80 for α-Thalassemia, often lower for β-Thalassemia
- RDW normal
- Decreased quantities of normal hemoglobins
- Hemoglobinopathies like sickle cell are “qualitative,” involve abnormal types of Hb (e.g. Hb S, etc).
- Qualitative defects → Hemolytic anemia (normocytic)
- Diagnose both by Hemoglobin Electrophoresis
Normal Range of Normal Hemoglobins
• Hb A (≥97%) • Hb A2 (<2.5%) • Hb F (<1%)
Thalassemia Diagnosis by Hemoglobin Electrophoresis
- Mild anemia, MCV 70-79
- Normal RDW
- Likely ethnicity
- Low serum Ferritin = Iron Deficiency
- Must normalize serum ferritin (iron replacement), then order the electrophoresis
See posting Anemia – 2.