- A “Whoop” (very rare beyond early childhood); OR
- Coughing Paroxysms; OR
- Post-Tussive Vomiting
- seek care for them at first sign of URI (catarrhal phase)
- explain possible pertussis contact to baby’s provider.
- contact Health Dept. to obtain kit for nasopharyngeal swab
BEWARE — don’t over-identify “paroxysms” as an excuse to Rx azithromycin.Catch 22
- Treatment shortens symptoms & prevents transmission if begun within 2 wks
- BUT case definition says “cough >2 wks duration”
- (However: Tx might ↓ transmission if given up to 3-4 wks)
See posting Acute Cough – 1 (end of post).